A child needs to understand the sound of the letters and words to be able to pronounce, read, and write it properly. Phonics is a very important method of teaching relation between the letter and its sound. It enhances the ability of the child to hear, identify, and understand the words by relating them to their sounds. This is also a very important way to learn the spellings of the words of the English language so that with knowledge of the grammar, they can make sentences and gain proficiency of the language.
Types of Phonics
Phonic methods can be classified into the following types:
- Analogy Phonics: For teaching about a new word, it is compared to a known word and can be learned by rhyming. For example, ‘stock’ can be taught by speaking out ‘lock’ as it rhymes with it.
- Analytic Phonics: The relation between sound and the letter is analyzed and then explained to the child in isolation.
- Embedded Phonics: While text reading, phonics instruction is embedded in it so that it becomes smooth.
- Phonics through Spelling: Words are segmented into various small groups of similar-sounding words and then select letters of these words.
- Synthetic Phonics: In this method, the students are trained to convert letter into their particular sounds. Then they are asked to form known words from those sounds.
Teaching English in Singapore
English is very important for the young people of Singapore, and its proficiency can be gained right from the pre-primary levels. As explained above, Phonics forms a very important part of the learning of the language. To improve the reading skills, kids English phonics Singapore classes are strongly recommended.
Benefits of Phonics
Language is an essential basis of communication for everyone. Letters are the basic units of the language. Meaningful combination of the letters forms the words and arrangement of these words as per rules of the grammar is done to make sentences.
However, unless the person knows the proper pronunciation of the word, spoken language suffers badly. It is also essential to know the spellings for writing. Phonics teaches the basic technique of formation of the words by analysis of its sound. It is especially true for English, which is considered a universal language.
Singapore children of pre-primary level can quickly learn reading skills most practically, by attending English Phonics Singapore classes where the language skills are most professionally mastered by the use of this method. It is advisable to focus on kids English phonics in Singapore to get a better foundation of the subject from a tender age.